Posted: Posted Date – 16:13, Sun – 10 Jul 22
Hyderabad: Bajji, also called donuts or pakora, is a common and popular snack in every Indian household.
A variety of bajjis are prepared with potato, plantain, spinach, eggplant, onions, starfruit leaves, green chillies, paneer, bread, etc. Made with chickpea flour and a vegetable of our choice, bajjis are fried in oil. They can be crispy and crunchy or soft as well, depending on our choice and our tastes. Typically served with chutney or sauce as a snack at tea time or on special occasions, this traditional snack is sold everywhere, including street vendors, confectioneries, restaurants and homes.
Bajjis made from starfruit leaves (readily available throughout the year) are flavorful, flavorful and nutritious. It is a tasty way to consume these leaves with many medicinal benefits. This delicious snack served with a hot cup of tea or coffee makes a perfect combo during this monsoon. So, let’s try this recipe.
* Carambola leaves: A few
* Bengal chickpea flour: 1 cup
* Rice flour: 1/4 cup
* Crushed carom seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
* Turmeric powder: 1/4 teaspoon
* Salt: to taste
* Chilli powder: 1/2 teaspoon
* Soda: A pinch
* Water: As needed
* Oil: As needed for frying
* Take a few carom leaves (vamaku), clean and wash them 2-3 times, and set aside for a while.
* Take a cup of chickpea flour in a mixing bowl, add 1/4 cup of rice flour to it to make the fritters crispy.
* Add 1/2 tsp crushed carom seeds, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and salt to taste.
* Add 1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder and a pinch of soda; Mix everything well.
* Add a little water and mix to obtain a smooth paste, a little thicker than dosa paste.
* Adjust the taste, dip a leaf and check whether the batter is well coated or not. If not, adjust the consistency of the paste as needed.
* Heat a frying pan with the oil needed to fry the donuts, dip the leaves in the batter well coated and drop them into the oil, in batches.
* Flip and fry on both sides until golden brown, then transfer to a bowl.
* Your savory and delicious carom leaf fritters are ready – serve them hot as an evening snack.
(Stay tuned to Hyderabadi Ruchulu column for more recipes. YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/hyderabadiruchulu ; Website: www.hyderabadiruchulu.com)