John Mayer’s “Sob Rock” tour is postponed after he, along with several band members, tested positive for COVID-19.
Taking to his Instagram account, the singer wrote: “Whelp. More band members tested positive for Covid today, and I was one of them. That means we have to reschedule the four upcoming shows, which we’ve already rescheduled and posted above.” Additionally, he expressed his disappointment and apologized for the change in plans.
“I’m so sorry to make you change your plans. It’s a disappointment for everyone in the group and the team, not to mention the question hanging over everyone’s head – mine included – on the way I’ve tested positive for PCR two out of two times (The first one was extremely mild, but this one got the better of me.) We’ll give you everything we have at these upcoming shows, soon that we will rest and reunite. With love and appreciation…me,” he added.
According to People Magazine, earlier this week the guitarist’s second sold-out show at Madison Square Garden took on a different format after drummer Steve Ferrone and background vocalist Carlos Ricketts tested positive for the coronavirus.
During Wednesday’s tour stop in Washington DC, Mayer – who had already had a COVID infection in January – appeared on stage for another acoustic set with a Throat Coat cup of tea and told the crowd that he had developed a sore throat the previous afternoon. He said: “After the last two years, I don’t cancel shows. We don’t cancel shows here. I mean, if it’s that stuff and you have it – well, I get it Anything else than that…if it’s just me and I have to bang a guitar with my right hand and my left hand in a sling and I’m telling you stories, I’m not going to cancel a gig.”
The February 25 show in Pittsburgh will now take place on May 5, while the March 1 show in Belmont Park, New York will take place on May 7 and the two Boston shows will take place on May 9 and 10.
The “Sob Rock” tour will resume in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on March 11.